Indiana Jones 4: The Abridged Version

I did go see "Indiana Jones 4", even though I swore I wouldn't. I knew it couldn't possibly be any good, especially after the abysmal showings that Indy 2 and 3 were. ("You cheat, docta Jones!" indeed. *shudder*)

But I figured maybe after 20 years, they'd write a script that was a decent homage to the original "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Maybe they'd remember the magic ingredients that made the first Indiana Jones adventure such a fun romp.

But no. Oh, no. Not by a long shot. Indy 4 was so obviously a money-grubbing, "we-can-put-anything-on-the-screen-and-make-a-ton-of-dough", "just-think-of-the-merchandising-deals!" slop-fest.

Shoddy script with plot holes you could drive a truck through (and they did). I mean, yeah, suspension of disbelief is important in a film like this, but when the writing is *this* bad, then it goes quickly from suspending disbelief to downright insulting.

That's what this was. Insulting. Insulting to the movie-going audience. The film feels like the producers had utter contempt for anyone who would be stupid enough to pony up $13 to go see it. Like me.

Anyway. An excellent rundown of the film, in just a few pages rather than two hours of your life, is posted at the-editing-room.com. Check it out for a good laugh, but of course there are **SPOILERS** all over it. So if you don't want the "surprise" ruined, don't read.

But trust me. Indy 4 has no surprises, you'll see everything coming from a mile away. And you won't care. It's that bad.

Comments