VMWare Server 1.0.4 and FC 7/8

Today I was trying to bring up a new Linux VM in my VMWare Server box, for running my SlimServer for the holidays (long story, don't ask).

So I'm trying to install Fedora Core 7 into VMWare Server 1.0.4, but I kept getting SCSI errors, and hangs during the install when trying to load a particular SCSI driver. It also complained about being unable to access the various SCSI devices during install, but I forged ahead.

After the install, the reboot brought me into a state where errors were being reported about the SCSI devices (as on install), but it takes 10-15 minutes to get through all the errors. They were of the type:

Asking for cache data failed
Assuming drive cache: write through
rejecting I/O to offline device


So -- some Google-ing, some Forum reads, turns out this is an issue with VMWare Server 1.0.4. Something's broken here.

Easy fix? Disable BusLogic and enable LSI Logic on the VM itself. The machine seems much happier now and the install is moving along.

Reference these links here (someone else having the same issue) and here, VMWare's forums.

Comments